We went apple picking last Friday and I have a pantry FULL of apples. I’ve already made apple sauce, apple cinnamon muffins and we’ve eaten a lot of apples for snacks. I really should have bought an apple-corer-peeler, but I thought of that after the fact. Anyway my oldest wanted me to make an apple cake. So we searched the Internet for recipes and we selected this one.
I made it this morning and it tastes amazing! It’s halfway gone already.
Here’s what I used:
- 1 cup of butter softened
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups apple – peeled, cored, and finely diced (I used about 2 large apples and 1 small one–I think they were Jonagolds)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour and 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
2) In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, then add the water and vanilla.
3) Stir the flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg together. Beat this mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in the chopped apples and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4) Bake at 325 degrees for one hour and fifteen minutes or whenever a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack.
Enjoy! We sure did!